Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spiders, spiders everywhere

I rescue things. Creepy crawly things. Things most people tend to step on and smash into little unrecognizable bits.  I know my habit of saving bugs, arachnids, snakes, etc. either amuses or annoys most people.  Buttercup is mostly irritated by my reticence to extinguish the life of insects that have inadvertently wandered, crawled,  dropped into or otherwise found their way into our humble abode. I carefully gather up the lost soul and release it back into the wilderness that is our front yard. Even my brother was less than amused the time I found a black snake that was cozily coiled in a storage box near his porch and rescued it from certain death by hoe (He is skeered of snakes and wanted to take it's head off. I, however, carefully coaxed it into a box and released it into a culvert, several hundred yards behind his house). Some of my coworkers think I'm a crank for saving spiders that have wandered into our office. My receptionist though is the first to call me out when she sees one....I think she likes the fact that I save the little buggers from certain death. I do all this because I rather fashion myself to be a benevolent master of my universe. I believe in the natural order of things. I figure if I redirect a wayward bug/spider/whatsit back outdoors, it will buy me some cosmic brownie points in case reincarnation is in fact a reality. Actually, if you believe certain scientists, we are made up of atoms from all over the universe. So who's to say when we pass on that some of our atoms don't show up years later in the soul of a wolf spider, or a scarab beetle, or a Vulcan nematode. I just can't take that chance. 

                          This is pretty scary.....

All that being said, I will admit that my altruism takes a backseat when a mosquito, biting fly or velociraptor attempts to taste me. My self-preservation overrides any moral sense of fair play. The offender will die an ugly death, but only after I say a silent prayer for the redemption of the poor bastards' atoms.....

No comments: